The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved the state’s request for federal assistance to help businesses in the northern Illinois counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will.

This means there are now a variety of loans available for businesses and residents who experienced physical damages or economic injury as a result of civil unrest in these areas. Loans available are:

  • Business Physical Disaster Loans – Loans to businesses to repair or replace disaster-damaged property owned by the business, including real estate, inventories, supplies, machinery and equipment. Businesses of any size are eligible. Private, non-profit organizations such as charities, churches, private universities, etc. are also eligible.
  • Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) – Working capital loans to help small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture, and most private, non-profit organizations of all sizes meet their ordinary and necessary financial obligations that cannot be met as a direct result of the civil unrest. These loans are intended to assist through the disaster recovery period.
  • Home Disaster Loans – Loans to homeowners or renters to repair or replace disaster-damaged real estate and personal property, including automobiles.

Businesses can access additional information here and apply for loans online here.

SBA has also opened a Virtual Disaster Loan Outreach Center (VDLOC) with virtual customer support representatives to assist applicants with completing the online application.


  • Open: Monday – Friday
  • Hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm
  • Email:
  • Phone for Individuals & Businesses: 571-422-6016 or 470-363-6079
  • NOTE: Closed Friday, July 3rd, in observance of Independence Day

Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or email for more information on SBA disaster assistance. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 800-877-8339.

Additionally, we always encourage our Illinois small businesses to reach out to our business advisors at our Illinois Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs). They are available to assist small businesses with the loan application process. Businesses can locate their nearest Small Business Development Center here.

Lastly, for counties outside of those noted above: DCEO continues to seek declarations for additional counties in Illinois impacted by civil unrest. In order to do so, we need to obtain information from businesses who experienced an impact in these counties through this form. If you are in a county that was not noted above and are aware of an impact in your area, please ask businesses to fill out the form. To be eligible for an SBA declaration, at least 25 homes and/or businesses in a county must sustain major, uninsured losses of 40 percent or more.

Kristi Dula

Deputy Director – Entrepreneurship, Innovation & Technology

Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity