Customers urged to use Ventra app for tickets
Metra would like to update its customers and the public about steps it is taking in response to the coronavirus pandemic:
• Metra will continue to operate its regular weekday schedule at least through Friday for those who must travel. However, as the experts advise, if you don’t have to travel, don’t. Metra is prepared to switch to a modified weekday schedule; any change will be announced well in advance.
• Although there has been a sharp drop in ridership due to school closures, work-from-home mandates and other consequences of the coronavirus pandemic, we are not changing the size of trains and crews have been told to operate with all cars open to encourage social distancing.
• Metra is encouraging its riders to use the Ventra app to purchase all tickets. Using the app is the best and safest way to minimize contact between riders and onboard personnel. The app can be downloaded for free from the App store or Google Play.
• Metra has stepped up the cleaning and disinfecting of cars and locomotives. It has brought in extra crews to assist with daily cleaning and provide additional cleaning on weekends. Crews are concentrating on disinfecting high-touch areas such as door handles, hand rails and seats.
• We are also bringing in extra crews to increase the cleaning and disinfecting of downtown stations. We are also cleaning Metra-maintained outlying stations multiple times a week, paying special attention to disinfecting high-touch surfaces, and we have asked the municipalities or other entities that maintain the stations in their communities to do the same.
Metra will continue to monitor this situation and stay in touch with federal, state and local health authorities. We hope all our customers stay safe and healthy.
For all of Metra’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, please go to metrarail.com.