In 2017, the District 99 Education Foundation has gifted more than $20,000 in support of educational programs at North and South High School in Downers Grove.
Educational programs the Foundation has supported include:
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a preparatory program for college-bound students; the Foundation gave a scholarship to a student from each campus.
- In partnership with the Midwest Heart Foundation, Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, Kenneth Holland Memorial Foundation, the Foundation supported the Young Hearts for Life program, which provided heart screenings for more than 3,000 students.
- The Foundation sponsored Red Ribbon Week, an awareness campaign about alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention, and outside speaker and former NBA star Chris Herren, who shared his story about addiction, recovery and making positive lifestyle choices
- The Foundation purchased “Raspberry Pi” devices for the Women in STEM club members to learn about computer coding.
- The Foundation provided enriching social activities for autistic students to promote positive behaviors.
With community support, the Foundation can achieve its mission to fill in the gap where traditional funding may not be available. In order to continue its efforts at each high school, the Foundation encourages the community to get involved.
All community members are welcome to attend the Foundation’s annual fundraising event, Pizza Wars, on Thursday, March 1 at South High School. Tickets will be available on February 1 on the Foundation website .
Community members can support by making a donation online or mailing donations to:
District 99 Education Foundation
℅ District 99
6301 Springside Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60516
Since 1994, the District 99 Education Foundation has invested more than $300,000 for enhancement
programs for students and teachers at both high schools. For more information about the District 99
Education Foundation, or to volunteer, visit its website or contact a Board member via email
( D99Foundation@d99ef.org ) or phone (630-795-7115).